This evening I’m drinking wine… even though I have an alcohol allergy. As I sipped at the red wine I was waiting for side effects, expecting to be suffering within minutes. Nothing happened – I am a happy bunny right now. After about 6 or 7 years of having an intolerance that turned into an allergy I’ve finally had a glass of vino.
Normally I have to be really careful, avoiding foods with alcohol. A lot of sweets and puddings have alcohol in, and sometimes yogurts and even condiment sauces have alcohol. I can wear or touch alcohol, for example perfumes, but I can’t consume it, I can’t taste or swallow it.
I’ve been in tricky situations in the past, in a public place eating, then as I chew I think this contains alcohol and have to spit it out and be rude OR swallow it and suffer. The effects of accidental consumption of alcohol for me is within 2 minutes or so I’ll start feeling a bit tipsy and breathing funny. A few minutes later I am dizzy, hot in the face and feeling rough. Within about 20 minutes I’ll be at the full peak of it, I’m hot all over, dizzy, nauseous, disorientated, and for about two minutes I feel drunk. Not a nice giggley drunk, but confused and worried and unpleasant drunk. Within a few minutes of the drunk stage I hit the hangover stage. This lasts hours. Imagine if you went straight to hangover, never feeling the pleasant effects of a glass or two.
I once was utterly floored by ice cream. Rum and raisin flavour ice cream, I read it, it stated “rum flavouring” not actual rum – I assumed wrongly it was safe. So I happily enjoy it all (1/4 of an oval tub!), unaware it was a tad poisonous to me. Moments later I was honestly lying on the sofa crying and hurting- I felt so unwell and just wanted it to stop. Blokey was chuckling at first then realised I wasn’t faking, it really had booze in. He got me a teddy to hug and strong coffee. It didn’t go away for several hours, I wanted to sleep it off but bed felt like miles away. The amount of alcohol was tiny, but was plenty for me.
My limit is a thimble full of wine I’d say, or one alcoholic chocolate. Doctors said vodka could kill me if I drank it, and to actively avoid all the weaker booze too.
Basically my body treats it as a poison, the more there is the harder my body takes it. It is explained a bit on Allergy UK.
Fancy a chilled glass of Rosé, a fresh aromatic Riesling or a smooth Chardonnay but want to cut back on the alcoholic units?
Simply switch your usual bottle of wine for Eisberg non alcoholic wine and experience the real taste of wine, without the alcohol and with only a third of the calories.
Eisberg alcohol-free wine is made in exactly the same way as your favourite wine, but with one difference. At the end of the process the alcohol is gently removed using one of the world’s most advanced processes, leaving all of the flavours of the wine, but none of the alcohol.
There are four varieties in the range: A refreshingly aromatic Riesling, a crisp Chardonnay, a juicy succulent Rosé and a fruity red Cabernet Sauvignon.
Suitable as an accompaniment dining with friends, or enjoying on its own, Eisberg contains 0.05% alcohol and only 34 calories per 125 ml glass, making it a great alternative to calorie laden booze.
Eisberg’s alcohol-free range of wine can help combat the cravings, so if you fancy the real taste sensation of your favourite wine, you don’t have to go without.
The full range is available in Morrisons and selected varieties in Asda, Tesco, Waitrose, RRP £3.50
Even after two glasses of red Eisberg wine and giving it time to take effect nothing bad has happened. I feel fine, as far as I can tell these wines are the dogs dangling parts for fellow allergy or intolerance suffers. Can’t have wine – I can now.
Disclosure : this wine was given to me for the purpose of this review. My words are my own opinions, and writen by me except the quoted section. Please consult a doctor for proper allergy advice, I’m not qualified like that.