WIN – Carbon Monoxide awareness week 24


Ages ago I wrote a post about Carbon Monoxide. Carbon Monoxide can commonly come in to the home via a faulty gas powered appliance, such as your boiler or kitchen hobs. The huge problem with CO is it is invisible, tasteless and invisible. The only way to detect it is with a Carbon Monoxide alarm, and that is the point of this post. I Have been offered a CO-9X FireAngel Carbon Monoxide alarm by Corgi Homeplan to give away to one of my readers as part of Carbon monoxide awareness week which ends today. For tips and advice on Carbon Monoxide safety please read here.

 

Carbon Monoxide Alarm

FireAngel CO-9X.

As it happens this is exactly the alarm I have. It’s easy to use and set up, the hardest part was drilling a hole for a screw to hang it on my kitchen wall. In the box was a very good instruction leaflet, and I remember clearly it gave highly specific instructions of where to place the alarm to ensure it would work. We test the battery by pressing the button, and it makes one heck of a piercingly loud beep. You test the CO detection by placing the alarm in to “test mode” and holding a match you’ve just blown out up to the sensor. In the smoke from the match there will be a tiny trace of CO and the alarm should go off.

Just like normal fire alarms, this little piece of plastic could save the lives of your family. If you don’t win one you can buy them in several shops (including Argos, B&Q and ScrewFix) for around £15-£35 depending on the brand and model.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Terms : Entry is via RaffleCopter widget above only and winning entries will be checked. There is one mandatory entry, which is answering a relevant question. The competition is open to over 18’s in the UK and runs from now (22/11) until 23:59 on 28/11. One entry per person and no cash alternative. The prize is being provided directly by Corgi Homeplan, so I will pass on the winners address to Corgi Homeplan to mail you the prize. Good luck.

PS, you might want to check out my other two competitions. :Win a pamper hamper and win a share of £210 in Amazon vouchers.


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

CommentLuv badge

24 thoughts on “WIN – Carbon Monoxide awareness week

  • Tracy Nixon

    Fact: Every year in the UK, over 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, which leads to around 40 deaths.

    Home safety tip: Also install smoke detectors, check them regularly, and replace the batteries at least once a year.

  • iain maciver

    Carbon monoxide (CO) doesn’t announce its arrival. You cannot see it, smell it, touch it or taste it. It’s indiscriminate and is rightly known as the ‘silent killer’.

  • Anthony G

    Carbon monoxide is very similar in weight to air and will easily mix and flow with the natural air flow in a building or enclosed area. It has no colour, smell or taste and cannot be detected by the human senses. It is also extremely dangerous, binding itself to the haemoglobin in red blood cells and preventing them from transporting oxygen around the body.

    Households should have gas appliances checked regularly (e.g. annually) by a qualified engineer.

  • claire woods

    Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, non-irritating gas.

    Home safety tip – never use your oven to heat your home.

  • Karen Richards

    Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer. My safety tip would be to have all your gas appliances checked annually by a Corgi registered engineer.

  • Natalie Crossan

    Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, non-irritating gas.

    Home safety tip – never use your oven to heat your home.

  • M Allen

    Carbon monoxide is colourless and odourless. During snowy weather make sure that vents and other fixtures that allow things to escape are kept clear – check them regularly in heavy snowfall.

  • Tom York

    Co2 great for extinguishing fires, and unfortunately can extinguish life. Get a Carbon Monoxide detector, check it regularly, check the batteries.

  • Gem Cook

    Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. You cannot smell it!
    Top Tip: Make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector! :-)

    Really enjoyed reading this blog post, thank you for sharing, very useful information x

  • maureen

    Fact: Every year in the UK, over 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, which leads to around 40 deaths.

    Home safety tip: Also install smoke detectors, check them regularly, and replace the batteries at least once a year.

  • Andrea F

    Carbon monoxide is present in the atmosphere at 0.2 parts per million

    Always make sure candles are extinguished before you leave the room.